Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Reads You Review: ARCHIE #631

"Jungle Fever"
ARCHIE #631
ARCHIE COMICS

SCRIPT/PENCILS: Dan Parent
INKS: Rich Koslowski
LETTERS: Jack Morelli
COLORS: Digikore Studios
COVER: Dan Parent
32pp, Color, $2.99

The CBS Saturday morning animated series, Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space (originally broadcast during the 1972-73 television season), was very important to me. It was the singular work that introduced me to and got me interested in comic books, science fiction, and all-things-fantasy. By the time I discovered that there was such a thing as a Josie and the Pussycats comic book, the title had been discontinued.

During a recent infrequent visit to a comic book shop in the region, I was scanning the shelves for a copy of Rocketeer Adventures Vol. 2 #1, when I spotted the cover of Archie #631. I saw its depiction of Archie Andrews cradling Pussycat Valerie Smith as the two kissed, and I quickly snatched the comic off the shelf.

Apparently, Archie and Valerie have been eyeing each other for some time, much to the chagrin of Archie’s longtime, dual love interests, Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge. Now, Valerie, her parents, and her little, brother Trevor AKA “Trev,” are moving to Archie and gang’s hometown of Riverdale. Now, that Archie and Valerie are closer, their fledgling romance takes flight. Not everyone is happy, but maybe Archie’s friends and Valerie’s band mates will just have to deal.

The Archie Comics creator of which I’m most acquainted is Dan DeCarlo, and I think of him when I think of Archie Comics. I can, however, learn to really like Dan Parent, who scripts and pencils Archie #631. He modernizes the characters and settings, but retains the eternally retro charm that is inherently Archie. The story moves at a lively pace and the dialogue and characterizations are funny and even a bit peppery, while staying in the zone that is Archie Comics’ version of “all ages.”

I bought Archie #631 because Josie and the Pussycats are in it, but I didn’t plan on really liking it. Dan Parent makes me want more.

http://www.archiecomics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment