Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I Reads You Review: WONDER WOMAN #36

WONDER WOMAN #36
DC COMICS – @DCComics

WRITERS: Meredith Finch
PENCILS: David Finch
INKS: Richard Friend
COLORS: Sonia Oback
LETTERS: Sal Cipriano
COVER/VARIANT COVER: David Finch and Richard Friend with Sonia Oback
32pp, Color, $2.99 U.S. (January 2015)

Wonder Woman created by William Moulton Marston

“War-Torn” Chapter 1

I have not read a Wonder Woman comic book since I read The New 52 re-launch, Wonder Woman #1, back in the fall of 2011.  There is a new creative team on the monthly Wonder Woman series:  writer Meredith Finch, penciller David Finch, inker Richard Friend, colorist Sonia Oback, and letterer Sal Cipriano.  So I decided to try this team's first issue.

DC Comics is adamant about not providing a synopsis on the first page of each issue of its comic books the way Marvel Comics does.  I think DC refuses to have a first-page synopsis simply because Marvel does it.  Anyway, beware of my synopsis because I had to do some research of my own.

Wonder Woman #36 (“War-Torn” Chapter 1) opens with the depiction of a rural village being destroyed by raging flood waters.  It is apparently just one of many villages destroyed by environmental catastrophes.  This springs Wonder Woman a.k.a. Diana and the rest of the Justice LeagueSuperman, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg, into action.  Swamp Thing is also investigating these disasters, unbeknownst to the League.

Meanwhile, unrest stirs on Paradise Island (which DC has been calling Themyscira for years), the home of Wonder Woman/Diana and the Amazons.  Apparently, there was some kind of conflict on the island, and males, formerly forbidden, now reside there, which enrages some Amazons.  Diana is now the God of War, and in charge of Paradise Island because her mother, Queen Hippolyta, is now a clay statue (!).  That last thing is now also in a state of flux.

I had planned on reading more than one issue of Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang's New 52 Wonder Woman and never got a round to it, though I still plan on doing it.  I am intrigued enough by this new Finch and Finch production to read more.  If anything, I love the art by Finch, Friend, and Oback.  It's gorgeous, and Finch's Wonder Woman recalls the pin-up girl art of his former Top Cow Productions stablemate, the late Mike Turner (may he rest in peace drawing nekkid pictures and near-nekkid pictures of the buxom beauties that share Heaven with him).

I think I'll make a harder (clears throat) attempt to follow Wonder Woman now.

Reviewed by Leroy Douresseaux


The text is copyright © 2015 Leroy Douresseaux. All Rights Reserved. Contact this blog for syndication rights and fees.


No comments:

Post a Comment